What is ACP?
Aluminium composite panel its short form is ACP. It is also known as a sandwich panel. The aluminium composite panel was invented by 3A composites company in 1964 as a joint invention with BASF.
The aluminium composite panel is a composite material in which thermoplastic polythene core and the fire-retardant core material are sandwiched between two thin aluminium sheets. Polythene is not a fire-resistant material actually, it ignites and spread the fire.
Hence before purchasing the ACP panel, we have to ensure that core material fire-resistant. Polythene core panel is used in type C construction project now you will be thinking what is this type C. Construction projects are divided into 3 types.
- Type C.
Type A is most fire-resistant form of construction, it covers building above 4 floors. Type B cover 3 storage building and type C is the least fire-resistant form of construction in which one and two-storied buildings are covered.
In past experience, it has been found that during the fire the aluminium composite panel with plastic polythene core catches fire rapidly. In some countries like UAE, the use of non-compliant aluminium composite panel which has polythene core is banned.
Aluminium composite panels with fire-resistant mineral-filled core material would generally be used. It is important to understand that no aluminium composite panel is fireproof, it is only fire code compliant.
Aluminium has a low melting point at around 660 °C. During the fire, the temperatures will be around 800 to 900 °C, which will melt skin and ignite the core.
The aluminium sheet can be coated with polyvinylidene fluoride that is PVDF or fluoropolymer resin that is FEVE or polyester paint. The standard thickness available in the aluminium composite panel is 3 mm, 4 mm and 6 mm.
- Aluminium composite panels are frequently used for external cladding or facades of building for, Signage, canopy shopfronts, bar and hotel, shopping mall, commercial building and offices etc.
- it is also used for an interior application such as wallcovering, false ceiling, cupboard, wardrobe modular kitchen, table-top, column cover and moreover.
- it is also used in the Aircraft industry where mechanical performance and weight saving are essential.
- No material is as flexible as aluminium composite panel and it can give work to designs that are either too difficult or impossible with other material
- It is very rigid durable and strong material although it is very light in weight.
- It is delightfully flexible and easy to work with.
- It is easy to install and can we install real fast.
- It is very economical cladding material as compared to other options available in the market and
- It offers a wider variety of colour
- It is UV resistant and chemical resistant.
- ACP is environment-friendly and fully recyclables the panels are usually made from above 85% recycled aluminium material.
- It is termite and fungal resistant.
- It is Unbreakable stain resistant and weather resistant.
- Aluminium composite panels are available in almost 40 different colours and it can even be made in custom colours to fit your building application.
- Aluminium could be used to replicate the colour and texture of natural stone and wood very efficiently
- Excellent exterior stability within a range of temperatures from – 52 to + 80 degree Celsius and minor thermal expansion.
- It has a smooth surface finish.
- They are susceptible to dent during storms and hurricanes.
- the joints have to be carefully sealed and adequate waterproofing has to be done so that there is no water penetration into the building during the rains.
For aluminium composite panel generally, companies give a warranty of 5 to 10 years but nowadays some of the companies give you a warranty of 15 to 20 years as well.
There are different methods of installation of the aluminium composite panel it depends on where we are installing the ACP whether it is exterior surface or interior surface in one of the methods ACP sheet is jointed on the base with the help of adhesive.
The general method used for the installation of ACP is cladding. In this method, the holes are drilled in the wall and aluminium framework is constructed with the help of screws and then ACP sheets are either hanged on the Framework or screwed on the Framework in such a way that screws shall not be visible from outside the gap between two sheets shall be filled with the help of silicone gasket.
Cleaning and maintenance
- Used a mild standard detergent.
- All cleaning operations must be followed with clean water to avoid stains.
- Driver the panel with a sponge or other absorbent material.
The price of the aluminium composite panel depends on many things like its overall thickness, it’s core material, skin thickness, coating etc. Roughly the price of 3M fireproof ACP sheet with polythene core and with PVDF coating will be available in the market at 75 square feet.
So, friends, this is the complete information about ACP. I have tried to cover all the topic of ACP.
If you found this information helpful, please be sure to share it with your friends.
If you want to give any suggestions, you can mention it in the comment section.
Thanks! for reading the article.
Thanks! for reading the article.